Channel Excellence describes, step by step, how to design, manage and accelerate a partner and alliance network.
In my past as distribution manager by a large US high tech manufacturer, I had the privilege to manage some of the largest distribution channels. Experiencing the friction, channel conflicts and in-transparent cost and margin structure – I decided to completely disrupt the channel business and growing it from zero to the third largest tech distributor in the world.
Key topics in Channel Excellence cover
- The base structure of a well run partner organization
- Selecting, on-boarding and developing a partner channel
- Understanding the channel economics and why an indirect sales channel is always more effective and less costly than a direct sales force, unless the average product price is above $100,000
- Inheriting a channel and where to start
- Comparing direct and indirect channels and its advantages in the various situations
- Methodical channel development
- Channel Strategy development
- Channel sizing
- Channel creation
- Partner recruiting
- Channel conflict prevention
- Partner Marketing
- Partner Programs
- Demand Creation
- Lead management
- Collaborative project management
- Deal registration
- Channel based forecasting
- Channel segmentation
- Compensation challenges
- Going from local to global
- Social Media leverage in channel management
- Creating a special SaaS channel (Recuring Revenue)
- Partner portala, PRM and other systems
The book was first published in 2007, based on experiences building a large global channel and a Pan European Channel.
The second edition was published in May 2019. A completely new chapter in this second edition is yet another disruptive model: “Zero Margin Distribution”. It addresses the age old hopes from vendors to circumvent distribution all together and saves the margin a distributor is keeping. A second new chapter deals with “Channel Economics” why well run indirect sales channels will always outperform comparably well run direct sales organizations.